These past several weeks have been quite busy. Here’s a quick recap of what we’ve been up too:
- Bob came to visit from Western International.
- We met with some of faulty at the Saint Augustine University Of Tanzania to discuss extending the FITI program throughout the university.
- The plastic bag ban in Tanzania initiated as of June 1st (I’ll write more about this in a post to come).
- We had a couple of very productive meetings with the Mikono Yetu team and spoke about the future plans and proposals for the FITI Corp.
- We got to watch the sunset from a boat on Lake Victoria… It was so unbelievably beautiful. (Fun fact, while the lake looks stunning, if you swim it in, you risk getting schistosomiasis – a disease that is caused by parasitic wormS).
- Sara and I started filming some of the kitchen success stories (3 kitchens down… 7 more to go). The success stories are the main focus of her internship. You can read more about the progress of those on her page.
- Maimuna took us venue shopping for a good spot to host a FITI day event — which I’m not going to lie, sort of made us feel like wedding planners.
- We discovered that our building has a rooftop and have been watching the sunsets from up there every day since.
- We made new friends with the kids that live on the hill behind our apartment. They wave and yell “Mambo” every time (for the entire time) that we’re on the rooftop.
- And I had to get my permanent retainer re-glued to my teeth – not once but twice – after it debonded the very first week when I bit into a guava.
While I wish I could write more and give you (and future me reading back this post) more detail about our last several weeks, I’m running short on time. Sara and I have a flight to Kilimanjaro that’s leaving in 2 hours…
Stay tuned though! I’ll have a new blog post ready to go up as soon as we get back.